MHY Family Services was founded in 1878 by the women of the United Presbyterian churches of Pittsburgh and Allegheny City, which is now Pittsburgh’s Northside neighborhood. Opening first with volunteers, the United Presbyterians Orphan’s home served families who, as the result of death or poverty, could no longer care for their children. Within two decades, the United presbyterian Orphans Home, also known as “The Home”, had grown from volunteers to employing 12 adults to care for 75 children.
In 1929, in response to increased need, the agency purchased an estate in Butler County - the campus MHY Family Services occupies today.
In 1996, the organization was reincorporated as as Mars Home for Youth as the mission continued to evolve to meet the needs of at-risk youth through residential and community based services.
In 2012, as our Community Services programs continued to grow, our current name MHY Family Services was adopted. This was done to honor the ongoing diversification of services.
In 2014, MHY Family Services earned accreditation through COA, marking excellence in the delivery of human services. Expedited COA re-accreditation was awarded to MHY in 2018.
MHY Family Services had demonstrated adaptiveness to social and economic changes of our society. We intend to continue this commitment for decades to come.